Durango, Colorado is an incredible place to live, work and visit, and it's generated a lot of buzz in recent years.
Here are just a few places where Durango received top billing:
- Family Travel Magazine - Top Family Friendly Resort
- National Geographic - Top 10 Emerging Ski Town
- Sunset Magazine - Great Snowy Getaway
- Skiing Magazine - ski "Dream" Town
- 13/14 TripAdvisor named Durango Mountain Resort the "Top Value Ski Spot" in North America
- True West Magazine - Top 10 True Western Town
- Los Angeles Times - Where Skiing is Still Affordable
TripAdvisor Names Durango, Colo. as "Top Value Ski Spot in North America" 2012/2013
Durango Mountain Resort was recently recognized as the Top Value Ski Resort for the 2012/2013 season by TripAdvisor, the world’s largest travel website. When comparing 25 popular ski destinations in the US and Canada, TripAdvisor announced that Durango is the most affordable ski destination in North America, approximately half of the average of all destinations on the index.
Elevation Outdoors Magazine - Best Colorado Ski Town 2013!
Elevation Outdoors, the essential guide to the Rocky Mountain outdoor lifestyle, hosted an online poll asking readers to vote for the best ski town in the state “based on its vibe and quality of life as well as easy access to deep snow, stashes and on-mountain happenings.” The results released on January 2, 2013 hailed Durango, home of Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort, as the Best Ski Town in Colorado.
An excerpt of the article from Elevation Outdoors, “We smiled when we saw Durango rise to the top here. It is not on the tip of the tongue of editors of national magazines when it comes to big ski towns. That’s because they don’t know the meaning of the phrase, ‘Durango is a way of life.’”
Ski Area Citizens’ Coalition gives Durango Mountain Resort an A-rating for environmental stewardship
TripAdvisor named Durango Mountain Resort the “Top Value Ski Spot” in North America
Elevation Outdoors Magazine named Durango, Colorado as the “Best Colorado Ski Town- Best Big Town”
“Top 10 Western Towns 2013,” True West Magazine
- Skiing Magazine named Durango a “Dream Town.”
- 2012 Durango named an Adventure Hub by Outside Magazine
- “Top Christmas Town,” HGTV
- “Best Places to Spend Christmas,” Travel + Leisure
- “Top 18 Spots for Fall Colors,” Sunset Magazine
- Outside Magazine named Durango as one of the “Best River Towns in America”
- “Top 10 US Travel Destinations for 2012,” Lonely Planet
- Outside Magazine named Snowdown as one of the top five Winter Carnivals
- Durango “Gold Level Bicycle Friendly Community,” League of American Bicyclists
- “Ten All−American Road Trips off the Beaten Path,” Yahoo.com
- “BeerCity USA,” Examiner.com, Finalist City
- “The 20 Best Small Towns in America,” Smithsonian.com
- Durango was named as a “Top Ten Micropolitan Area in the U.S.” Policom
- “Best Holiday Destinations for Singles in the USA,” Tripify
- “Ten Great Races in Amazing Places,” National Geographic, for the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic
- Durango selected as the start city for the prestigious USA Pro Cycling Challenge
- Best Places to Live 2011 and Best Place to Put Your Outdoor Life First - Men's Journal
- Top Micropolitan Area in the US (Durango ranked one out 576 communities under 50,000 people) Politicom
- Top Ten Western Towns - True West Magazine
- Top 200 Town in the US - Outdoor Life Magazine
- Top Ten "Life is Better Here" Town and "Next Big Thing" - Outside Magazine
- Colorado's Secret Stashes - Ski Magazine
- 2011 “Best Steak,” The Ore House Restaurant, The Denver Post
- 2011 “Ten things you have to do in Colorado,” The Denver Post
- 2010 "Green Power Community," Environmental Protection Agency
- 2010 "Top Small Town for Meetings & Events," Meetings & Events
- 2010 "Governor's Award"
- 2010 "Top Ten Ski Resorts to Down a Local Beer," Away.com
- 2010 "The Top 20 Ski Resorts in America," Aroundme.com
- 2010 "Town to Watch," True West Magazine
- 2009 "Top 10 Places to Raise an Outdoor Child," Backpacker Magazine, CBS News
- 2009 "Best Places to Live in Rural America," Progressive Farmer
- 2009 "Top Ten Train Rides," Society of American Travel Writers
- 2009 "The West's 20 Best Small Towns," Sunset Magazine
- 2009 "America's 200 Best Hunting and Fishing Towns," Outdoor Life
- 2009 "Top 20 Romantic Getaways," Sunset Magazine
- 2008 "Top 20 Resort," Conde Nast Traveler
- 2008 "Top 10 Christmas Towns," HGTV
- 2008 "Colorful Colorado Award," Governor's Award for Downtown Excellence
- 2008 "Silver Level Bicycle Friendly Community," The League of American Bicyclists
- 2008 "Governor's Award for Historic Preservation," Colorado Historical Society
- 2008 "7 Great Mountains to Ski with Your Kids," Ski Magazine
- 2008 "Top 10 Western Towns," True West Magazine
- 2007 "Next Best Places to Ski, Live, Invest and Retire," Ski Magazine
- 2007 "America's Dozen Distinctive Destinations," National Trust for Historic Preservation
Conde Nast Traveler - Top 20 Best Places to Ski (2006 and 2008)
?Conde Nast Traveler, the worlds premier travel magazine ranked Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort as one of the top 20 resorts in North America in their December 2008 issue.
The list was selected by readers who were invited to evaluate 104 North American ski resorts that they had visited in the past three years, and rank the resorts on terrain and conditions, lifts and lines, town ambience, dining and après ski/activities. Only resorts that received a required minimum number of responses were eligible for inclusion in these rankings.
Purgatory received the 20th spot on the list, receiving an overall score of 73. Terrain and Conditions were the highest ranked area for the resort with a score of 85.5, with Lifts and Lines close behind with a score of 80 and Town Ambiance rounding out the top three with a score of 72.7.
Purgatory earned higher marks in each category this year, reflecting guests’ positive reviews as the resort continues to make significant upgrades to its base village facilities and prepares for future terrain expansion and mountain improvements.
Ski Magazine - The Next Best Places to Ski, Live, Invest, Retire (Jan 2008)
Only seven resorts from North America were selected on this elite list of up-and-coming destinations; and Durango was the only Colorado town chosen. Durango Mountain Resort made the cut due to upgrades occurring as part of the resort’s 25 year Master Plan and the town of Durango’s unique amenities. The resort was noted for “1200 acres of fluff, including long, looping cruisers,” and a lack of crowds.
The overall appeal of Durango as a mountain destination with a genuine western mentality was enhanced by the numerous amenities that usually elude small mountain communities. Fort Lewis College, the new Mercy Regional Medical Center, and outgoing citizens who lend a hand at nearly every event set Durango apart from countless other Colorado resorts.
Ski Magazine - Seven Great Mountains to Ski with Your Kids (Nov 2007)
Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort has long been known as a fun-family destination for skiers and snowboarders in Southwest Colorado, and now the secret is out. Ski Magazine selected Purgatory as one of the 7 Great Mountains to Ski With Your Kids in the November 2007 issue. One of only two resorts selected from Colorado, Purgatory is hailed for its “rolling steps that are roller-coaster fun, but never intimidating.”
The resort is pinpointed as being a great location for kids because of the family-friendly atmosphere at both the resort and in town. “With the one-two combo of town and resort, families find great skiing, comfortable digs and an authentically Western experience,” says the magazine, noting Mesa Verde and the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad as excellent side vacations for families.
One factor placing Durango Mountain Resort on this elite list of great mountains to ski with kids is the Mountain Master Plan that includes new condo accommodations, swimming facility, restaurants and retail outlets and more family-friendly amenities. Purgatory Lodge is the resort's largest development in history and has taken shape in the heart of Purgatory Village. Purgatory Lodge features new skier services, including a ticket office, rental and retail outlets, bathrooms, lockers, a swimming pool, spa area and a new Purgy's Day Lodge; perfect for parents watching their children come down the mountain.